The Concord Woolen Mill is located along Nickajack Creek and
within the Concord Historic District. The community located around the
mill was named "Nickajack Factory" and was within close proximity of a community
named Mill Grove.
Ruff's Mill in the Concord Historic District
Marin Luker Ruff and family moved to Cobb from Henry County in
the 1830's. About the same time, Robert Daniel, a great grandson of a
colonial Governor of South Carolina, moved from Clark County, GA. The two
men developed a complete mill community with a school, church and general store.
The Union Army destroyed the factory on July 4, 1864. The Mill was rebuilt
and began operations in 1869. It was eventually sold by Ruff and Daniel in
Photos of the Concord Woolen Mill ruins and the
ghost framing put in place by the Cobb County Dept of Transportation to stabilize the
structure during construction of the East-West Connector
(click on thumbnail for larger view)