McFarlane Nature Park    2017 updates

The first project of The Cobb Land Trust was the establishment of the
McFarlane Nature Park, an 11.5-acre site in east Cobb County.

To schedule an event at McFarlane call 770-329-9709 or 678-860-4445

Schedule a scavenger hunt at McFarlane with the kids!

Schedule a scavenger hunt in nature.

Add specific trees from the McFarlane Tree Index

McFarlane Nature Park logo 

We are thankful to friends and neighbors who make it possible for us to move McFarlane into the future.

Recent donations have allowed us to

  • restore the 1941 farmhouse kitchen to a functional state

  • begin a capital fund to insure the future of the Park

to have your name added to a notification list for future events.

Sets of notecards featuring McFarlane Park scenes are available for purchase.

History of McFarlane Nature Park

Florence McFarlane died in October 1990. She and her husband, William, had purchased the property in 1958. Both had their ashes scattered there when they died. During their lives, they boarded polo ponies and raised lineage dogs. In Florence's will, she stated that the property should be kept in a natural state and used as a neighborhood green space, maintaining the serenity of the property.

The Cobb Land Trust came to hold the lease in 1992 and became responsible for protecting the land which was named McFarlane Nature Park.

The property and home have connections to many family names well known in the development of the metro Atlanta area. The farm was the centerpiece of extensive agricultural acreage owned by the late Atlanta attorney Hughes Spalding Sr. The property adjoined farmland of noted attorney and Judge John A. Sibley.

Spalding commissioned the design of the house in 1941 for his farm manager Floyd Spruill.  The architect he chose was Henry Toombs, who also designed the Little White House in Warm Springs, GA for President Roosevelt. The house has chimneys on either end made of stone from the Sope Creek quarry and a slate roof moved from the Spalding's home called Deerland which stood where Piedmont Hospital now is in Midtown Atlanta.

Locally the property was called the Bean Farm, and by some it was called Little Egypt due to it's proximity to the Chattahoochee River.

After Florence's death, there were several years before legalities were resolved. During this time the house and property fell into a state of disrepair. Thousands of contributed dollars and hours were required to make the house habitable and the grounds attractive again. Neighbors and friends cut ivy off the house and repaired plumbing. Buildings were cleaned and painted. Overgrown plants were pruned or removed. Individuals and organizations have come forward to handle the task.

The local Chattahoochee Plantation Community Association donated funding for the initial expensive and extensive repairs required and has remained the primary contributing organization. Workdays were scheduled during which adjacent homeowners came to accomplish the work required. A slate sidewalk was uncovered leading to the front door.

The Chattahoochee Plantation Women's Club has been a major supporter of the park,  providing funds for the construction of a permanent restroom facility, and most recently adopting McFarlane as their charity in both 2009 and 2010, raising funds for the restoration of the original stable where park history will be displayed for visitors. In 2013, the club held a major fund raiser, Art For The Park, featuring over 40 fine artists in a two day sale.

Boy Scouts from local Boy Scout Troops  cut paths through the woods to neighboring residential areas and built pedestrian entrances and benches. They have continued to contribute to the park through Eagle Scout projects to enhance the property.

Back to Top